Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why would we want Wicomico? (Whew!)

After Announcing this blog to a number of my friends, the first thing I heard back was, “Where’s the track plan?” Well, here it is. Sort of. In a minute. But first I think you need to know why I chose this spot.
Wicomico Street is located in Baltimore, MD, on the west side of the Inner Harbor. These days, it's a stone's throw from Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Stadium where the Baltimore Ravens play. Today, it's still a fairly busy industrial area with this mysterious, unused railroad track embedded in the middle of the road. In 1984, though, it was still an active switching area for the B&O (operating under the auspices of the Chessie System).

There's a bit of a chicken and egg thing going on here. I'm fuzzy about whether I stumbled upon the B-More Ghosts "Street Trackage Survivors" page first and that piqued my interest, or if I saw Pentrex' Street Running video first and then went looking for suitable B&O candidates, stumbling across Wicomico in the process. In any case, I was hooked on the concept and I decided very quickly that street running was something I wanted to do on my layout.

The B-More Ghosts site showed only two pictures of Wicomico St. This one and this one. It wasn’t much to go on, but enough to get me excited. But thankfully, there's Google Maps (and now Bing bird's-eye view). From there I could make out that there was still lots of track left in the street. For example, as you can see in Figure 1, which shows Ellicott Engineering, there is still a ton of track in the asphalt, even to this day. (You can see this view yourself here.) It made it very easy to figure out the layout and that this was once a pretty active area.

Figure 1: The arrows clearly show still-extant track embedded in the
pavement coming off of Wicomico St. into Ellicott Engineering. (Click image to enlarge.)
Street running? Check.


Figure 2: Wicomico Street map from
Baltimore Division Roadway Maps II.
(Click image to enlarge.)
I pored over the Google aerial photos for a long time. And that was great. But while I thought it was a neat area, I still had no idea what any of the industries were and what they might possibly ship and receive. Then the B&O Historical Society came to the rescue. I purchased from them a book called Baltimore Division Roadway Maps II (B&O H.S. Item number 71002 for anyone who is interested). I can't tell you how invaluable this book has been. As you can see in Figure 2, it shows the industry names, their layout (as of the late 80s) and in some cases how many spots they had for loads. This went a long way towards getting a workable plan on paper.


So I liked its operating potential. Another thing I liked about it was that it was compact, and therefore buildable; a good starter project. A bonus is that it happens to be right in the middle of a lot of railroading in the city, so when it comes time to expand, there are many options.

And there was one other thing about it I liked: saying Wicomico. It’s fun. Wicomico. Wicomico. Wicomico. Try it.

So now we get to the plan (“Finally!” I can hear some of you saying). As mentioned in the Givens and Druthers, I wanted to model the area as a Layout Design Element, to steal a term from Tony Koester. In essence a selectively compressed version of the real thing, with the benefit being that you can be assured it will operate correctly because the prototype operated it. I realized that it laid out very nicely into five 2x4 tables, with each table being a block. I added back some trackage that’s visible in the aerial (and in person) but no longer shown as active in the roadway map. Here is what I ended up with. And it was good.
3rdplanit_OriginalWicomico
Compare it to the map. I think I covered the bases. This plan would allow me to add staging at the left end (which is where the track connected to the main), and have a decent operating run. 
But like God with Adam before Eve, I couldn’t leave well enough alone, as we’ll discuss later.

8 comments:

  1. Hi. Nice start. However, I've got one comment on your plan... I assume the "grey" tracks represent ones added back in and will be real tracks on your layout. How do you plan on switching them? Without a run around it will be impossible to switch without trapping the loco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,

    You're correct, and that's one of the the things that I "messed with" in the modified plan, which you'll see in the next post.

    The strange thing is, I could find no evidence of a runaround here on the prototype, so they must have run push-pull or something like that. It's actually pretty close to Mt. Clare B yard, so I suppose it's possible the ran two trains, one for trailing point and one for facing point switches, but that seems like a lot of work.

    If anyone has information on how they handled these facing point switches on the prototype, I'll be all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the photo shows the extra track (next to the yellow vehicle) that appears to enter one leg of a "Y" turnout. I'm wondering if the other leg perhaps met back up with the main and this wye was used as the run-around? The diverging track to the left seems to aim right for that dark building so I'm guessing the building wasn't there when the original track was. Could this perhaps be the way to switch both directions instead of push/pull? It would put the turnout right in the middle of the Wilcott and Bush intersection however looking at the line drawing, there is another intersection turnout near the top so there is precedence for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, that "Wilcott" should have said "Wicomico St."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really interesting theory, one I hadn't considered before. I just always assumed that the left leg of the wye went to a loading dock somewhere, but judging from the map, the curvature probably isn't right for that.

    There's no evidence of any track diverging from the street where the other end would have likely been. I'm torn on that. a) It's possible that they took the switch out years ago when the building was constructed, but b)there doesn't appear to be evidence that they took any track out of the street anywhere else, even when they stopped using it. Switched welded one way or the other, yes, but not removal.

    Isn't railroad archaeology fun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I looked closely but couldn't find any street evidence either. Like you noticed, the curve just doesn't fit the existing building and probably wouldn't make sense as it would be easier to just run something off the main right to a (former) building. Unless, in this case when the took the track out for the building they also took the switch out of the street to make road maintenance easier... perhaps the city mandated it as part of the building permit... which brings up another idea... can you get any info on that building there... perhaps date of construction and maybe even blue prints/building permits? They or the city might still have that in archives somewhere.

    Then again you could just freelance it and hope no one that remembers that street ever calls you on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more thing... I assume you know but just in case, on the Google maps, if you are all the way zoomed in and try to zoom in more you get street view where you can actually "drive" the streets. Many of the buildings look to be original as the abandon tracks still go to entrances and loading docks. Examing the Wicomico and Bush intersection and I can't find any trace of a former turnout... but also there are some newer streets... like anything south of bush that looks like all traces of the tracks were removed as nothing is showing through the pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes. I spend a lot of time on Google. Street view is my friend!

    South of Bush I believe the tracks are still underneath, they've just been completely paved over.

    ReplyDelete