Monday, October 11, 2010

Track Plan Unveiled

It's time to break out the champagne and christen the final Wicomico St. Track Plan. Except I don't drink champagne and christening the plan will just make the paper soggy.

Regardless, as many of you know, coming up with a workable track plan can be a pretty difficult thing. That's partly why I put together this blog. as I've found that getting ideas from others can be very helpful. That proved true here.

I'll be honest, though: apart from this initial Wicomico St. portion, I haven't a clue as to how I'm going to put all of the things I want to include in the layout into a workable track plan for the rest of the room.  But I'm not worrying about that at the moment. As stated in the "Planning For Portability" section of the Planning and Pondering post, I'm building this portion first so that I don't need to worry about having the whole thing finished.


The level of incompletion for the basement plan as a whole doesn't diminish the satisfaction I'm feeling with finalizing the plan. So without further ado, here is the final drawing.

Now, before you get in an uproar, (I know you were thinking about starting an uproar... I sense these things) I'm aware that a "final" plan is rarely final. And I already know that the layout won't be built exactly as shown here. I plan to shorten some of the Peco turnouts to lengthen the runaround a little bit and move the spurs to the left slightly further left. But anyone who has worked with 3rd Planit knows, it's a lot easier to plan for these things than to redraw a turnout. So, I'm saving myself the work. But, the framework is there, and this is the plan I'm moving forward with.

A note on the operation: trains will enter the layout from left to right. On the prototype, trains bound for Wicomico come of the main line and connect to the section represented by the layout to the left of the W.T. Burnett area. The track terminates at the end of the street (near the area I've designated "Storage"). So, nothing will ever connect there on the layout.  

I want to thank everyone who has given their input and some great ideas to get the plan to this point. I'm looking forward to doing some building. And when we return, thoughts on building...

No comments:

Post a Comment