Sunday, January 16, 2011

Good News and Bad News

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought at the very least, I would give you a little news. Both Good and Bad.

The Bad News


Well, part of the bad news you already know: I haven't been able to post for a while. I've been very busy with various work projects since early November. As a consultant and small business owner a) you don't necessarily keep 9-5 hours b) you take work when it's available and make the most of it. So, that's kept me from posting as much as I'd like. That is, at all.


The other part of the bad news is, as you tend to do when working on a layout, I learned something that disappointed me. As you know from the "Why Would We Want Wicomico (Whew)" post, I espoused the pleasures of saying "Wicomico." Repeatedly. That is saying it repeatedly, I didn't espouse it repeatedly. Except, I found out I was saying it wrong. I was pronouncing it "wick-oh-MEE-koh." Yep, wrong. It's actually pronounced "why-KAHM-ih-koh." Still fun to say, just not as fun to say. Oh well, it's certainly not enough of a reason to bail on the project. Especially once I get to the good news.

The Good News


Work has also kept me from making as much progress on the layout as I'd like. Which still sounds like bad news, right? Work with me here.

I have had some small amounts of down time. Time where my brain was fried enough that I had to get away from the computer and do something with my hands.


So, I've completed the benchwork.

And I've put the subroadbed, that is, the 2 inch later of pink foam, down.

And I've put the roadbed, the 1-2 layers of acoustic ceiling tiles, down in most places.

And...

(Can I have a drum roll, please...)

I have laid a stretch of track and successfully run a train on a layout I've built myself for the first time in over five years!

Now, I won't lie to you, the track runs only about 8 feet, none of the diverging turnout routes are laid yet, and it's only powered by a temporary DC connection (no time to wire DCC) but hey, baby steps, right? I was pretty excited about it. And then reality set in and it was back to work.

So that's the quick and dirty update. I'll post pictures soon, as I expect February to be a little less hectic than the last three months.


Happy New Year everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting something running. But... let's see some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ed. Pics will be coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading of your progress. So, there is a Worcester in Mayland. Have to think about that.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete